Log in
Join Us Now

Scroll down to have a look, or Login / Join to start Sharing with other Sailing Fans, start soSAILizing!

 left stranded in a rubber dinghy for nearly 40 hours in the Aegean Sea

A woman who was left stranded in a rubber dinghy for nearly 40 hours in the Aegean Sea

off the coast of Crete wrote the name and phone number of her mother just in case she perished at sea.

Kushila Stein, 47, from Warkworth, New Zealand, was helping transport a yacht from southern Turkey to Athens when she decided to take a dinghy ashore while it was anchored off the island of Folegandros last Friday, the New Zealand Herald reported.

She messaged the yacht's skipper, named only as Mike, to tell him she was returning to the Rival 34 sailboat but when she did not arrive within a few hours, he got worried and called police.

It turned out that she had lost control of the dinghy after an oar went overboard and strong winds pushed her out to sea.


Drawing on skills from her experience as a sailor, she used plastic bags to keep warm and relied on the sustenance of a packet of boiled sweets in her day pack.

She tried to alert overhead planes by pointing a mirror towards the sun, hoping that they would catch sight of the reflection.


An underwater drone, helicopter and six coastguard vessels were deployed and when she was finally picked up, she was 55 nautical miles of Heraklion and 23 nautical miles south of Folegandros.

She was then taken to ­Heraklion, on Crete, and treated for dehydration and is expected to make a full recovery.

Her mother, Wendy Stein, who spoke to her daughter after the ordeal, told Stuff her first words were: "I still have one lolly left, mum."

"She also told me she wrote down my name and number and attached to the dinghy so they would know who to contact if they found her and she was dead.

"She told me: 'I did everything I could to survive'.

"She has been trained in sea survival so is quite competent. I think that might have saved her life," she added.

In September, crew aboard the cruise ship Pacific Dawn rescued three men who had abandoned their yacht after it took on water and were left drifting on a life raft off the coast of New Caledonia, in the South Pacific.

Ben Johnson, one of the three seafarers, talked  about his relief when the P&O vessel dispatched a rescue boat.

"Oh my god, it was just emotion... I was so grateful," he said. 



30% ENDS NOV 8


| Video | 

Comment Here

free signup




Check out more Sailing News -  Member Wall posts - Events & More |  FREE SIGN-UP NOW and Post Yours! 

Source : MSN News 


This disclaimer informs readers that the views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the articles belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the author’s employer, organization, committee or other group or individual.

None of the authors, contributors, administrators, or anyone else connected with soSAILize, in any way whatsoever, can be responsible for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.

Please send feedback, error reports, and suggestions to about-an-article AT sosailize.net

Sailing News
Latest Post on Social Wall Activity Stream

- Eureka, Ca

LOST Steering and FOULED our Anchor! - Onboard...

Terence Dins has a new avatar. 20 hours 59 minutes ago